Finding the right foundation is important and even more so when it’s your wedding day. The last thing you want is to use a foundation that is too yellow, too oily or too cakey. To find the perfect match to create a flawless canvas for the rest of your make up and that will last all day means you need to do your research. The foundation that worked for your best friend on her wedding will not always be the right match for you. Before purchasing any foundation, whether it be for your special day or for work consider our quick tips:
- Don’t pile on the make up: Remember your foundation is there to even out you skin tone and give uniformity to your complexion. Do not blank out all your natural skin textures and tones to make you look mask-like.
- Shade and tones: Do not try to change the colour of your skin through your foundation. Keep your foundation colour natural as possible and make sure it works with other exposed skin.
- Natural daylight: Assess and test your foundation in natural daylight to get a true representation.
- Formulation: Never go against your skin type as everyone has a different ‘skin chemistry’, what may work for others may not work for you.
- Mix foundations: If your skin is changing throughout the seasons do not be afraid to mix different foundations.
- Build and blend: When applying foundation work with small amounts at a time and build thin layers. This will ensure a well blended and long lasting finish.
- Be a savvy shopper: Ask for samples before you buy and really trail the foundation before you hand over your hard earned cash.
Here are our 6 favourite, tried and tested, foundations we recommend to all our brides.
1. MAC Face & Body – £22
This foundation is a classic and often a staple for make-up artists. MAC’s Face & Body offers an excellent range of colours and gives a flawless dewy finish. With no SPF you do not need to worry about any flashback. But if you have an oilier skin you will definitely need to knock back some of that shine with powder.
2. Chanel Vitalumiere – £36
A beautiful foundation for those with dry-to-very-dry skin types but perfect for those lucky brides who already have great skin and are looking for light and natural coverage. Despite a SPF of 15, this foundation still photographs well with a dewy finish. With only 8 shades available this is the only downside, but if you do find the ideal match for you it’s a perfect hydrating foundation.
3. Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick – £29.50
We love Bobbi Brown as this brand truly champions the beauty in each person. This foundation is great for a buildable coverage that will leave your skin looking natural, healthy and vibrant. Available in a range of shades there’s something for everyone.
4. Estée Lauder – £30
The Holy Grail of foundations, Estée Lauder’s Double Wear has gained a massive following over the years. And we can see why – with a range of colours for every skin type, great coverage and long-lasting results, this foundation is flawless. A medium-to-full coverage, perfect for brides with a combination-to-oily skin type. With a SPF of 10 we find this still photographs, well but if you want to be sure it’s right for your big day, wear and trial this with your photographer.
5. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation – £32.50
Another great foundation that comes in every shade and undertone imaginable! Buff into the skin gradually in thin layers to reach the desired level of coverage. This foundation photographs beautifully and will last all day.
6. Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation – £35
Brides with dry skin will love this foundation with its very creamy and dewy texture. It helps hide away any redness, blemishes or dark circles and photographs gorgeously – bonus!